Wednesday, April 23, 2008

FAQ about Portfolios

When I enrolled for ENGL34H I had no idea what a portfolio was... After reading the web page, I stated learning a little bit about the subject. One of the question that stroke me was: "Why should I create an electronic portfolio?" That was exactly the first question I had after learning about portfolios: yeah, what for?







source: www.balibocraft.com/crafts/photoalbum.html


According to the article "A High School Inquiry" by Helen Barrett, portfolios are a reflection of a person's (especially a student) intellectual progress and achievement throughout his/her life. I thought that was a really good idea. I remembered when I was 5 or 6, every school work I would bring back home, my parents would keep it in a special box so I could take a look at it later in memories of those younger times. Even when we moved from countries to countries my parents would keep those boxes. The concept of a portfolio I believe is the same: keeping tract of all your efforts.
Barrett mentions, "I think the ePortfolio is the best means of providing evidence that students have met the school's requirements and state standards". On one hand I think that it will be great to have a Portfolio that can really show all the hard work you had done at school besides just having grades qualifying you as a person because grades can definitely not reflect your personality. And we know that nowadays the work world will no longer look for perfect CV or transcript but also for personalities. Portfolios will be a good way to simply put yourself at your advantage if you stay honest.
On the other hand, for employers or graduate school to consider looking at ePortfolios as part of an application process I will guess (and hope) there will be some kind of regulation standards about them. My first question will be: how do you know the ePortfolio is a reliable one? After all the person creating it can basically put whatever he wants including giving himself credit for something he didn't do. Then let's say employers start to consider seriously looking at ePortfolios, will people who refuse or don't desire to have one be penalized? Because I am pretty sure it is all at your advantage to show what you are really capable of through your portfolio versus a single interview. How are they going to make this fair for everybody?

Overall I think that the world of ePortfolio is very exciting and I can't wait to see how its meaning will affect our world in a couple of years. I will keep an eye on it that's for sure.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Wow, thanks for the thoughtful responses, questions, and insights, Stephanie. You raise a whole series of important issues!