Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Learning Portfolios

I think I would design my ePortfolio according to the different steps of my education.
First I will create a link page for each of my "years" in college/university. Each of these year will have a list of the classes I have taken, giving specific feedback on either how I enjoyed the class, the amount of time and work I had to put. It will also contain the exams took during that class as well as my notes and lab reports etc. I think it is just easier to keep your notes online than having to carry the stacks of paper around. I would just have to scan the notes/exams and attached it to the web page.
Also after I will get into graduate school, I would like to include a web page dedicated to my research projects and all the extra activities that will serve the purpose to enter into medical school. I will keep a accurate report on what I will be doing, what I will learn and how deeply I would like to get involve in a particular research opportunity. This will be an amazing tool for me to come back on when applying to med school and decide which activity I would like to include on my application.
My dream ePortfolio will basically serve me primarily to look back on the work I would have done just as a way to make sure I am on the good way. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by my studies that I could forget to take a particular class or realize I have to more extra activities etc...
The main audience will be myself but anybody who is interested in what other biochemistry students are doing could go on and take a peek at my dream ePortfolio.
I also like colors and pictures so my ePortfolio will probably have a lot of fancy animations, sound effects and cute pictures. That will serve just for the pleasure of my own eyes.
So my ePortfolio will be a learning portfolio, one that will witness the evolution in my academic life, and one that will allow me to self evaluate the work that I would have done.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. I agree that it would be cool (and fascinating) to track your growth in learning along that crucial "leap" from undergraduate education to grad school -- and hence an ideal use for an eportfolio.