Saturday, June 21, 2008

Online Honors Institute Infomercial

SUNY Potsdam Honors Program: I thought the video was way too long. There were two of them and I actually could not even watch half of the first one. Also the sound recording was not really good therefore it was hard to hear the students talking.
JMU Honors Program: Even though I liked the humor approach I don't think it is the best way to reflect on how honorable it is to belong to the Honors Program. This kind of approach definitely attracts a lot of listeners because it is really pleasant to watch. Also it makes it look very accessible so that students will not think it is a hard core program.
Columbia College Honors Program: I liked this one the best. The presentation was good, really professional looking type video. Not too long also which is great otherwise you get bored. That is the kind of video that is going to make me think that it is worth joining the program because it looks really serious and will bring you a lot in your academic journey.
Slippery Rock College: This one was also good. Students talking about their experience in a short interview is always a plus to hear. The video was pleasant to listen to.
UAB: This is one was really interesting because they focus on the leadership part of the program. I think that it is a really good kind of approach because in the work world that is exactly what employers will look for: leadership skills. I would have totally enrolled in their honors program if I was studying over there.
SJSU: What I liked about this one is the short video. The music is also interesting however this looked more to me like a commercial rather than a honors tour.
I think what will be great for Foothill Honors Program video is to have a blend of the documentary approach with that of the leadership + student interview. The video will have to last no longer than 5min after that it's really a pain to continue listening. It has to summarize the best part of what our program is, emphasizing how great honors classes we have and what did they bring to us students. I really think Foothill has to expand the presence of the Honors Program on the campus. To be honest it is only after 3 quarters at Foothill that I heard there was an honors program. And even then on the Foothill Website, not much is said about what is exactly this program except that it is good for transferring...

No comments: