Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pupose of Honors Institute

When I think about Honors Institute I think about a program that will help students go beyond their thinking to be more open-minded to the world and have priceless experiences as a leadership.
The Honors program should hook us to conferences and events around the bay area that could be related to our majors.
I know people might think that being in the Honors Program gives you a good chance to get into UCLA but on what criteria UCLA thinks that we are that good of a student? Because after all the program at Foothill, as far as Honors stuff, only offers classes that are mainly literature classes and tells us about occasional events. What about the science majors? Because I agree that English and History honors classes are tough and really push you to another level of thinking which is great but how do universities know if we get the same experience for the science classes? I really wish we had more honors classes in the science field. Maybe I should just ask some of my instructors to think about it. It will be an amazing experience too.
Even if now the program gives you more chances to get into competitive universities I just don't feel like I am part of something BIG yet. I don't feel like I have academically got different from a student who is not in the Honors program. And if there is no plus to your education why would you be favored over students who are not part of the program for transfers to universities?

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Thanks for the BIG ideas. We've been talking about expanding the off-campus, extra-credit part of this whole Institute to include things like lectures and so forth....so I really do appreciate your suggestions.

(Note: lots of small grammar errors in this post -- be careful).