Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pre-planning the ePortfolio.

I am still trying to decide whether I should do an extra-curricular related blog or an academic one.
For the extracurricular one, I will do one about dancing. I think it will be the kind of blog that just traces back all the performances I did, pictures, video if possible, the list of musics I danced on etc.
I will put posts in chronological order so I will be able to see my own artistic evolution, the obstacles I went through, my feelings and thoughts.
The outside evaluators would be either my current dance professors or my formers one if I can reach them and make them write in English.
I think starting this week end I will try to figure out how should I organize my front page, the table of contents. Then I'll figure out exactly what goes into each posts, I will select my pictures and find videos and music (especially how to add them).
The challenge will be to go back in my memories to revisit the feelings and thoughts I had during all my previous performances (and I started at age 8).
This ePortfolio will allow me to look back on what I did and criticize myself. This is actually really important for an artist because you can ALWAYS do better, no matter how good you think you were or how hard you worked, you can always go beyond. If you stop doing that you will not progress and that's the end...

Otherwise I was thinking also to do an organic chemistry 12C revision website. At the end of this quarter, my classmates and I have to take the national exam of organic chemistry which covers a year of material. In other words, oh my goodness!
I was thinking it will be nice to have a website that summarizes the main points of each chapters, a list of all reactions + mechanisms involved.
The website will be divided into different theme or organic functional groups. I will also add some synthesis problems to practice + solutions that I will make up.
I think this will be helpful to any chemistry student but also for me when I will need to revisit my organic chemistry in two years to take the MCAT exam. This website will definitely help.
I can put drawings of molecules on the website. I was also thinking including videos where I would show myself going through a synthesis problem and how to solve it retrospectively (step by step).
My chemistry professor will be the one reviewing it as well as some of my classmates.
The challenge with this one will be the time involvement. Summarizing each chapter will demand a tremendous amount of time. But as I need to review the textbook anyways so I guess it's doable.
If I decide to do this one, I will start this week end summarizing the latest chapters (the ones I'm working on right now). And go back to the old ones as my study progresses backwards.

2 comments:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Wow, Stephanie, both ePortfolio ideas -- dance and chem -- sound wonderful! I'll stay tuned to see what you settle on...

BTW I read an amazing article in this month's Scientific American magazine entitled "Science 2.0" If you go with the Chem project you would enjoy reading it for sure (or even if you don't...). It's about how revolutionary it is for scientists to share their data online in wiki form. Like putting your raw lab data online for the world to see -- and to help with!

Scott Lankford said...

I realized this posting is worth 50 points, not just 25! Yahoooo!

Maybe you should think of a metaphor which connects your two passions...like the Chemistry of Dance? Or in any case think about the "story" or "overarching narrative" that will draw your reader along through your ePortfolio.