Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Digital storytelling

When I first started reading about the storytelling text I could almost picture kids in a future time before going to bed, instead of having their dad reading a book, just going on their own computer and log onto a web page with digital stories. And not that it doesn't sound pretty at all, after all you can have way more colors and pictures and sound effects from a computer, but still, I would feel sorry for those kids if that situation is ever to happen.
Anyways going back to the subject, I think the digital storytelling tool could be quite interesting to explore. Although the only reason I would probably use such tool will be for school purpose... Like let's say you have a project to do, or a research paper to write, you can use the storytelling mode to make the project or research more interactive and less boring.
I think the only problem I have with the digital storytelling tool is that you are expected to record your own self and voice so that everybody else can watch and see you. Honestly, exposing myself in such way will probably be a hard thing for me to do...I'd rather stick with my paper. I would prefer people to be convinced or read my real words instead of having to be distracted by any other factors raised by digital storytelling. These could be in fact: the way you sound, the way you look (people tends to judge you a lot), the quality of the video, quality of the sound, the background (where did you record yourself).
It is also true that watching somebody talking directly at you can be a more convincing "exchange" than just having to read a flat paper.
I also read something about the languages saying that basically you could record yourself speaking a different language and sharing with people. I thought that was a great idea. Also that reminded me that you could display some web pages in different languages by just clicking on the one you are interested in. So that gave the idea that if I had the skills and technology to do so, I will probably have my own web page in french and English!
Overall digital storytelling will be an interesting area to keep an eye on as ePortfolios are becoming more and more popular. But even so, I doubt that I will use such tool in my ePortfolio, but who knows?

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Actually I don't think there's any requirement that you have to record yourself or show images of yourself either. You could easily ask someone else to narrate, and the "topic" of each story is completely up to you (and would not need to include you, anymore than a "short story" typed on a piece of paper must include you either).