Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Journey


So about my journey, I could refer to “the call’ part of my life. It’s quite boring but oh well, it’s the assignment. (Oh and I cannot find another part of the Journey that I can refer to right now…)
So last night I get a call from my friend Victoria and she tells me she is at the mall. No, just joking, I’m describing the “wrong” call.

During my last year of high school, I had to start thinking which university I was going to attend and in which country. What usually happens for students in Tahiti is that we either go to the local university for 2 years before having to transfer to France, or go directly to France. For multiple reasons, I didn’t want to move to France and I knew that biomedical researchers over there where underpaid and had trouble finding a job. Not really a motivating situation and I knew I wanted to come to the U.S. It was really unsure that my parents would send me here away from them but I knew somehow that I had to come here to study. Up to now, I don’t regret my decision and I am glad my parents supported my decision.

Talking about the present moment, I would say that I am facing some kind of giant ugly Ogre, and the worse part of the story is that I have to figure out by myself how to get rid of him.
I am at a point of my life where I don’t know how to organize my life. My schedule is always crazy and it’s not because I am taking 21 units of major required classes, it’s because 1/3 of those 21 units are dedicated to my dance classes. It’s funny but I never considered dancing as being a “hobby” or “exercising”. It’s simply just a part of my personality. Now that Foothill Dance Company is approaching show time, I have rehearsals until really late at night even during the week. It is then really challenging to get all my homework done (in time), get a maximum of 6 hours of sleep and stay focused in class and at work. I am not complaining since this is my choice, but I am also planning to go to medical school and that means I am supposed to start getting involved in research projects. I know that at some point I am going to have to reduce my dancing hours and eventually stop in order to study, and that makes me really sad. I am trying to make myself believe that I will always find a way to manage some time to dance but who knows?
The question then becomes WHEN do I stop? Should I really stop? To what extent am I willing to sacrifice study time for dancing? This is something that I haven’t figured out yet.

Oh and just to clarify something from today’s discussion, I just wanted to let know professor Lankford that I actually do not consider “not talking in class” a weakness in my learning. It might sound strange but I actually don’t think that participating in class makes you learn better… I am used to learn from a textbook, maybe that is why, but every time something is not clear, I usually manage to figure out by myself, meaning that I would at least try before having to ask the teacher. I find out that asking too much questions in class makes you become a “lazy” thinker since “you get served as soon as you ask”. But that is just my personal opinion, no offenses.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your situation sort of brings to mind a friend of mine--she earns straight-A's in school, she's been practicing ballet for years, she's been on a soccer team for maybe just as long (I think she's going to be elected captain this summer, too), and on top of that she gets to have horse-riding lessons once a week for a treat. Oh yes, and she just turned 12 last week.

The crazy thing is that she manages to do it all and hasn't yet, well, gone crazy. She'll have to stop something someday, whether it be the dance or the soccer--there's realistically no way that she could do both and keep up with school--but she hasn't reached that point yet. You're nearing it, though, and I guess that's just part of getting older (sucks). It's not like I could give you advice or anything, but I can attest to the fact that, if dancing is really a part of you (and I figure so, since you sacrifice so much sleep to it), it's never going to leave you however little you practice it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think you’re crazy. How do you even have time to have fun? Well its good that you are still driven to keep up with your dancing with all the classes you’re taking. I don’t think I would ever be able to do what you do. I would just quit and stick to studying.
Well I don’t think you should stop dancing, just limit yourself to how many hours you spend dancing per week, or better manage your time so you can fit it into your schedule.

Scott Lankford said...

25 points for the journal and 25 points for the comments. I sure learned a lot about your life in that post! I guess I'm such a verbal learner that I need to "listen" to the concerns of quiet students more carefully. Actually one of my favorite things about blogs as a teaching tool is that the so-called "quiet" students aren't so quiet online!