Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Weaknesses as a learner

I am a really lazy girl. If I have time to do nothing I would just sit around or take a nap instead of doing the work I'm suppose to do. I think I have a hard time to get started with something, especially papers or revisions...

The good thing though is that once I start, then I can be really efficient and do a lot of study. It's just the starting part that slows everything. What could I do to make it better? I don't really know, usually I would push the work until I know I cannot do it anymore and finally start doing it. A little like procrastination except that it is not it because I don't have anything else to do (except napping) and I am not scared of my work being not good. Just laziness, pure laziness.


Last quarter I was so sure that I was the type of student who learns better from the textbooks than from the lectures. Turns out, that's not so true. This quarter, I started to pay attention and take notes in lecture and it actually works fine for me! I think what happened is that usually my lectures are at 2 pm, which is nap time basically so I would just fall asleep in class. Now my lecture is still at 2 pm except that I decided that I was going to pay attention in class for once. So maybe it is just the fact that I'm being sleep deprived that affects my learning.


The funny thing is that usually I can work fine on 6 hours of sleep a day (+ 1 hour nap during lecture). So that now I'm not napping anymore, it throws off all my schedule sleep and it results in the fact that I'm tired the whole day. I'm glad we have coffee...

There is no apparent solution to my lack of sleep problem unless somebody comes up with some sort of drug that supresses the need from our body to get some sleep. I'll be really grateful if somebody can find that.


I think as long as I do the work I need to do during day time, I can go to sleep early and get 7 hours of sleep and stop coffee. Yay.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

11 points. Well there is one sure cure for sleep deprivation: rearrange your schedule so you can sleep more. And/or improve the efficiency of your study patterns so it takes less time to do work well.